View Single Post
      07-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #23
genesmasher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Volvo S60

Very useful right-up. High speed cornering behavior. I was hesitating but you totally convinced me to go with 540i x-Drive next spring. They are rare here in CA, and I practically gave up to buying an RWD. Will have to special order one to my exact specs, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaozinho View Post
There was a very obvious difference between the sDrive (RWD only) and the xDrive (AWD, RWD-biased) in my M550. What's the best way to describe the difference...with my M550 i have the confidence to keep the throttle on through a corner...the xDrive system just shifts power to the front which pulls you through the corner...you learn to just know the car will keep traction no matter what.*

The sDrive system felt like a traditional RWD system. Big shock, I know. But, I didn't have anywhere near the time behind the wheel, nor inclination in a loaner, to explore the edge of the envelope. It's likely the 540 would be fine. But, it being a RWD car I brought a lot of my preconceptions/experience from other RWD cars. I expected oversteer. I didn't get any. But I expected it. The little bit I pushed the 540 it did nothing of the sort. So it's likely I would learn the car better and that it wouldn't oversteer.

I've read reports of "numb" steering for the M550. I'm not sure the feeling in my M550 is numb. It's just neutral. There are no glaring flaws of over or understeer. It just tracks. Obviously, when the car moves from RWD-bias to, say, 50/50 F/RWD, the line and track of the car changes. It's quicker because of it. But I can see why people think it feels numb. The car just knows what to do with the traction control. Depending on your line you have to adjust a bit when it transitions (if you're on a bad line). But I've learned to take much "squarer" lines, if that makes sense...just flick the wheel, keep on the gas, and the car will carry on...

And while I'm rambling on about steering (I've had a beer or two, so forgive me), when my M550 has the DSC off the pivot point of the car changes...with DSC on the car feels very RWD-like. The pivot point of the car is out over the rear axle. Not exactly like a true RWD car. But close. With DSC-off (traction) the car pivots in your hip pocket...right in the middle of the car...a weird sensation when you are first getting used to it...

*The one exception to this was when I made a U-turn in some wet weather under moderate throttle. The whole car lost traction and started moving sideways...The whole car...not like you'd get in a RWD car with just the rear end hanging out...the whole car!