View Single Post
      10-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Walk into a shop and say "I want a cross bike" (often referred to as cx)... Smug bike shop guys will try to sell you on a worthless hybrid bike that you'll eventually hate. In essence, a cross bike looks just like a road bike with drop bars and such; however, it has a geometry to allow for wider/knobbier tires that make it the perfect tool for mixed terrain and in the event that you get serious and want to start banging out centuries, then throw on some slick road tires and call it a day also they're easier to sell as cross racers are always looking for beater bikes to sling through the mud. Hybrid bikes are barely worth their melt value.

As far as distances... work your way up in terms of fitness and speed. But try to start off doing an hour each time then work your way up. When I first got a bike I'd be mindblown of even doing 16 miles and the thought of people doing 100 mile rides were lunatics, now that's a walk in the park. The whole activity is all about constant progression and pushing your limits.

As far as pedals and gear, you're going to get overwhelmed with accessory purchases. Eventually you'll want real pedals and shoes, riding in running shoes is horrid and will be painful on your arches as there is so much flex.

You're on the right path either way, I detest running but can spend 7-8 hours in the saddle (starts to hurt around 10). Just get a decent aluminum cross bike, throw some flat pedals on for the interim, get a decent bike fit and start riding. The rest will fall into place.
M_Six16554.50
Mr Tonka6058.00
Vincz68.50