02-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #16
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Resurrecting this thread. I ended up with a DJI spark which is really nice. I couldn't justify spending 1k for the mavic air.

Can someone explain this whole registering your drone with the FAA? Is it necessary or can I get away with not registering?
Hmm, I think I'm wrong, it seems to have changed. What I said was true when I looked it up last summer when I got mine but no longer.

We are hobbyists under this rule: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/model_aircraft/

To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you must:

* Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY
* Register your model aircraft
* Fly within visual line-of-sight
* Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
* Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
* Never fly near other aircraft
* Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport*
* Never fly near emergency response efforts

We don't specifically have to follow the part 107 rules but realistically they are all good rules. Some apply more than others of course (try taking a Spark or Mavic to 100mph LOL, but the 400' height and flying over people definitely applies): https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/part_107/

* Unmanned aircraft must weigh less than 55 pounds, including payload, at takeoff
* Fly in Class G airspace*
* Keep the unmanned aircraft within visual line-of-sight*
* Fly at or below 400 feet*
* Fly during daylight or civil twilight*
* Fly at or under 100 mph*
* Yield right of way to manned aircraft*
* Do not fly directly over people*
* Do not fly from a moving vehicle, unless in a sparsely populated area*
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50