toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan S

2020 M550i xD - bent rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
Just came back from the dealer. have the car (2020 M550i xD) for a couple of months but not much highway driving, NY/NJ area (read terrible roads). Started noticing a constant vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal at speeds over 60mph to the point it was getting annoying. Went to the dealer this morning and they checked the wheels, verdict: front and back left rims bent (they are 19"!!!)! What a bummer, as I never hit any pothole badly enough to get concerned. Front left is visible during the rotation but can't see much of a bending on the rear, but they say it is there, anyway, agreed to get them straightened in-house by that dealer and added alignment just in case. Cost after small discount: rim straightening $400 ($200 per wheel) + $200 alignment. I know that it can be done cheaper but didn't want to spend more time on this. Disappointed with BMW rim alloy quality... had 20" and 21" before on Porsches, Audis and few other earlier BMWs and never had a rim bent... such a bummer, especially on 19". They definitely need to improve the alloy quality, so brittle! Will report back if the vibration is still there after repairs.
UPDATE: dealer has fixed the rims and alignment (don't know if alignment was needed at all as they didn't show the pre-alignment readings) and the car is back to normal. Kudos to them for having it done in one day. One takeaway, I spoke with a sales rep and he confirmed my suspicion that the alloy used for rims on recent cars is more prone to bending as BMW is trying to make the wheels lighter. The goal is great but the end result is not so much if the owners are left facing an increased probability of ending with damaged rims. May be getting an aftermarket set of not very expensive forged wheels of same size is a better solution... checking out the HRE and BBS as an alternative.
Appreciate 0