View Single Post
      03-09-2020, 02:40 AM   #5
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Well... I just spent about three months Post Hellcat looking at C7 Z06s or Far better (IMO of course) IRL, a BOG standard Z51 Stingray 2LT, maybe a Grand Sport. I've driven all the 7 speed variants, and they are all around good. But the Stingrays with the Z51 package are excellent on the road, all the grip and power you can ever use, while still being comfortable enough to do GT duty. But then I'm driving on public roads 95% of the time

The C7s are awesome, genuinely decent cars, but I've no interest in owning a C6 I don't think unless all I was doing was gutting it for a track car, and that only because they are super cheap. They aren't the ugliest at all, but I think they are the rattiest inside. GM had almost caught up with the modern era, but they were still really rough inside, and they age like meth-heads.

If you're living on the track get a C7 Grand Sport, lap all day and you'll not be limping around with a car that cannot keep itself cool for more than 10 laps or so.

I'm approaching the Z06 from years of Challenger hellcat Ownership though. Not in terms of mission or handling obviously, but in terms of the pointless nature of the Super high HP numbers as they relate to fun.

Even on the Track, unless it's 1/4 mile and you're on some drag radials, the super high horsepower cars are genuinely and truly pointless, meaningless, and on the roads, with cops, kids, and packs of dim toodling along doubly so.

The roads (Corvette and Hellcat forums also) are filled with folks white knuckling their 6-700 HP cod pieces around at 2/3rds a decent pace cause they terrified, having no idea how to cope with the horsepower, that power makes the cars unforgiving, hard on parts, crap on fuel, and really they just don't generate meaningfully better lap times.

If you're just after bragging rights, and like attention from chuckleheads then go for it, (you get lots of attention) get the Z06 but what I've found out in the world and on road courses is that all the Extra power beyond about 500 or so is meaningless. FUN HELL YEAH! But beyond the drama and tiresmoke, 0-60 or so, where casual "NOT GO TO PRISON" fun lives? All the horsepower in the world going to rear tires is just pointless, I know its heresy but it is kinda useless. Line up with a Freaking WRX, or almost anything AWD and IRL you're looking at door handles till about 60 or so. Sure the Hellcat was an absolute beast from 40-80 etc, but from a stop it's just no use. Z06 was the same, you cannot use the 650hp anywhere meaningfully under about 60mph, makes it either pointless, or potentially lethal cause the fun, the edge, lies so high up in envelope. You know how a Miata can be fun at 45 mph? The Z06 or any of the Vettes really, just aren't. I think it's cause the real limits are so high, there's no excitement to be had.

I've just gone from 707hp and a 6 speed man Hellcat to an M4 6-speed just yesterday. I KNOW that the Hellcat would rip this M4s arms off at pretty much any speed above 40 or so. But off the line and to about 60, I'll just be looking at the grumpy front end of that massive Challenger in my mirror. Then of course there's a Whoosh and roar as the Hellcat pisses off, but that's the Hellcats one trick. Kind of exactly like the Z06, sure the Z06 can turn, and stop, but no better than a Grand Sport, it's just a lot more wear and tear followed by power reduced laps as everything overheats. While the Grand Sport or even the much better on the streets Z51 keeps lapping.

Sorry I'm rambling on and on AND ON.... I'd make excuses, but it's just me.

TLDR, From someone whose been living with a monster power beast, all that power is fun for screwing around, but ultimately does nothing but destroy brakes and tires, and insurance rates.

I'd recommend a Grand Sport, for track day use, as you can hammer it all day, or Z51 for Street.

But yeah sorry I'm babbling...
SYT_Shadow11468.50
NickyC17439.00