RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
That's bonkers. Remember when the e60 M5 was the fastest production sedan in the world? Wow!
I think there needs to be a caveat to the statement made in the original post. It should say "fastest 0-60", obviously due to the X-drive.

The E60 M5 will probably still out accelerate it on the highway, such as in a passing situation. Also when they claimed the E60 M5 the fastest production sedan, it was mainly due to the fact it could hit 200+ MPH with the limiter removed. The E60 M5 had a lot better HP/weight ratio, but like the F10 M5, wastes a lot of time as it struggles for traction from a stop due to its 2wd configuration.

This will be a fast car no doubt, but let's keep things in perspective.
Exactly. Let's keep things in perspective people.

You all should know that a bone stock 4,500lbs Audi RS7 can do a 0-60 in 3.5s or less.

Also here's the real question of the day. What are the confirmed curb weight figures for the new M550i?

This matters as I personally do not believe that M Division is going to be able to shave any significant weight compared to the F10 due to the AWD. Since I believe that M will implement some sort of traditional AWD system for the F90 M5 (even though it will probably be configurable by the driver) the overall weight of the car will not decrease. I am willing to bet my own M5 that M Division will make it a proud fact to the public that they were able to add an AWD system to the F90 M5 and keep the weight of the car the same as the F10 M5 but that means we're going to end up with another 4,400lbs sedan, and for me is unacceptable.

Yes, I know the 2018 Porsche Panamera weighs even more than the F10 M5 and is able to set a Nurburgring time faster than the Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio, but that is owing to the new Panamera's NASA-like computer system with over 100 million lines of code. The next M5 isn't going to have anything as sophisticated even though it'll have AWD. No, the F90 M5 should be AWD and at least 250lbs lighter than the F10 M5 too. That'll really put it ahead of the competition, but I know this is not going to happen, as the next M5 is also going to be laden with computers and modules weighing it down. They would have to get seriously drastic with the weight reduction. I still argue that it should at the very least get an CF roof, trunk, hood and CF for all 4 doors. That could save almost 100lbs right there.

Anyways, just thought I'd express my pre-disappointment with the next M5 even though it's not out yet. Lol!

Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00