View Single Post
      02-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #19
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_CS View Post
Totally agree, but in any case I would rather stack the odds and say, if his training fails him, or if ultimately there's a situation that is completely unexpected and predicated on someone else being negligent with his/her driving (drunk driver for example), then I'd want to make sure he was protected the best he can.

1997-01 F150 Crash test VS 2017 F30 is a good example of why a 23 year old truck isn't going to be better in the event of a crash compared to something more modern we're familiar with. The results are pretty eye-opening:

My youngest is driving a shitbox Pontiac Vibe. He's never been interested in going fast. The car for him gets him where he'd like to go, which is often the Train to the City to see friends. There are so many things out there that can kill you. Kids need to be made aware of the dangers. It makes me laugh when folks think that buying their kid a new BMW to keep them safe is a good thing....not even close. That's a show, and lazy. Take your kids out and teach them to drive defensively. Offset lane positions, safe following distances, slowing down in bad weather, shoulder checking, mirrors etc. Don't drink and drive and if you don't think your kid is responsible don't buy them a car that is really fast with a great crash rating and pat yourself on the back.

I was a cop for over 30 years....the majority of the crashes I saw in the wee hours that involved young drivers and catastrophic injuries were privileged kids driving new cars and often BMW's or something similar.....almost never saw those accidents in old shit boxes.
Appreciate 0