View Single Post
      08-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #126
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Please, you clearly don't have a clue about horology or watch business. They would rather sell you that YLC all day everyday. Sounds like you argue cause you are bored in life.

Everyone in the business laughs at your comments above. Again, Patel and Rolex, in that order. Complications don't matter in this case
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Please, we collect mostly for the asthetics. Be honest, even the most hardcore amongst us still collect mostly on asthetics. Of course we care about movements, but no one really cares about unproven movements. You also clearly have no idea about margins in the business, or what they do or don't have to sell you. Longines was Rolex before Rolex?.....wow.....never heard that one before. I have heard about Omega being the Rolex aspiration type back in 50s though

Rolex is not my fave, nor is Patek. I see you are a typical anti Rolex guy. Thats fine, but the truth is nothing comes to Patek and Rolex, in that order.
Not really sure what to tell you. Myself, along with many others in the watch communities I am a part of, absolutely care about the movement and if it is a horological masterpiece or a mass produced cheap movement slapped in an overmarketed watch. As for the history of Rolex and mechanical watches in general, i suggest you crack open the internet and look into it. Youd be surprised to see that companies like Longines were miles ahead of their competitors in terms of technology up until they started getting away from their in house movements.

As for knowing horology and the watch business, nah wouldnt know anything about those. I only create, build, service and restore watches as a business.

And I assure you, I am not anti-rolex. I would wager I have personally owned more Rolex than most casual collectors. Everything from cheap airkings to full gold subs and daytonas. They have a good style and are a good tool watch, which is why i tend to wear them much more than an annual calender or moonphase dress watch, but there is a reason i dont tend to keep them long and typical sell to make room for an actual horological significant piece. There is something about knowing how much of a modern marvel the thing you are wearing on your wrist is. The fact that someone could engineer and build a piece of machinery with 100s of little pieces that fits on your wrist is fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
The movement discussion continues to make me laugh day by day... I think times have changed so much that so few people care about that... I can literally walk to an Apple store, pick up a watch for $200 and surpass any mechnical movement advancement made within the last 50 years in 2 seconds... Rolex is actually probably the smartest for investing little into it as they know what people actually want... I think movement discussions were valid 20 years ago but now it's like arguing who builds a better manual transmission.
the person who is happy wearing an apple watch vs a multi complication watch is not the person we are talking about caring about movements. Those are 2 completely different markets that have nothing to do with each other. The only similarity is they are both strapped to the wrist. If you are someone that thinks the apple watch is superior, then you are not the person we are talking about.

Rolex are everywhere, and that is why they sell. They have marketed themselves to be the iconic brand of the luxury watch market to the casual watch wearer. That is why they dont follow companies like ALS or Patek or even AP, JLC, etc with multicomplication movements. Those movements are harder to produce, take longer to produce, and dont lend themselves to assembly line, automation style mass production. Rolex's business model is to overhype their watches, artificially limit supply, and make it so their watches are never found on a discount site.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0