View Single Post
      04-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I can't speak for Romania, but here in the UK, the things that best prevent the theft are only the things that actually make it harder to steal in the first place. The thieves are extremely brazen, car jacking people in broad daylight and kicking off front doors and demanding keys, so marking the VIN on the windows is unlikely to discourage them. Also most cars are going straight to chop shops to be used for parts, so VINs on the windows is not a big problem for them.

A tracker is good for recovery but won't prevent theft and thieves expect the more expensive cars to have trackers anyway but they continue stealing them anyway.

Faraday pouch is great but the wave of keyless thefts has slowed down and thieves are breaking in to houses to take keys or car-jacking people more.

A steering lock is a good deterrent, but if they have broken in for the keys it won't matter.

My car was stolen in last year. I got it back quickly luckily. I had my keys in a faraday pouch but they broke in while we were asleep and took the keys so my pouch made no difference. I have CCTV and the footage shows they never even tried to use a keyless theft tool - they came straight to the door and broke in.

I realised that all I could do was combine all of the anti-theft measures and hope that when they're all in place, each separate layer of security combines to make it too much work overall for a thief.

My advice - get better house locks that cannot be snapped off. Get a house alarm. Get CCTV. Get flood lights. Use a steering lock. Use a faraday pouch. Do not keep your keys easily accessible - keep them hidden and put a fake key (I bought a BMW key that looks like mine but doesn't work on ebay) out on display so they will take that and head back to the car; the time they waste finding out that the key doesn't work will have bought you time and in the meantime, they are standing on the driveway faffing about with a dead key.

With your house alarm going off full blast and your floodlights on them, along with being able to see them on CCTV, you can call the police and also be better prepared to defend yourself if they come back in, but if you are lucky they will abandon the attempt and leave because they won't know what to expect if they re-enter the house for the second time.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
jimk101.00