View Single Post
      01-16-2024, 09:12 AM   #59
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Water quality, and taste is a very regional thing. Wells have much more variability and vulnerability - they draw water from underground aquifers (pools of underground water); If somebody decides to dump toxic waste where it will leach into the aquifer then your water just got polluted; if your neighbor decides to go crazy with a drill and busts up your aquifer then you might run dry. City water is also subject to serious pollution issues, but it has been cleaned, filtered, and decontaminated. Either can be real nasty (look up 'fracking affects local wells' or 'lead pipes leach into drinking water'). City water is much more reliable, and you know pretty much what you are getting region-wide. You'll want to look into this specific to your area, as any combo of personal experience will be true someplace (some have undrinkable well water and nice tap, others have toxic sludge coming from the city and pure well water). Clean aquifers are getting more rare - even back in the 90's there was a superfund site located w/i the borders of every major aquifer in Ohio; that was before fracking.

In NY State they go to great lengths to protect aquifers (prohibit fracking and are stricter with ground polluters), mainly b/c NY City draws all their water from upstate - you can easily find them bragging it up as some of the best on earth, and justified in that. Cleveland, on the other hand, drew their tap water from a port located about a half mile out into Lake Erie (the one that caught fire, where mud from the bottom is classifired as toxic waste when they dredge it). Personally I drink distilled water every place I've lived since then.
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410991.00
vreihen1615467.50