View Single Post
      10-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto540i View Post
I totally agree with your comment, in my case I am very sensitive to sport driving, but I like that the car behaves stable, it is somewhat complicated, I suppose that the active suspension would have solved this to a large extent. The first test will be to raise the profile of the tire size from 30 to 35.
Getting the chassis we want can be quite an exercise.

I have posted the following comments in previous discussions, gives a bit of background to my findings with the F10/11 generation. I know with the G30/31, I'd want to be on adaptive suspension, with careful wheel selection, definitely not bigger than 19" rims. M-sport on 19" RFTs is too jittery for my driving roads.

Quote:
F11 Suspension Selection

I read a lot, discussed with BMW guys, and spend a lot of seat time in F10/11 models, to try and understand the dynamics of the different setups, and wheel performance, before I got my F11 back in 2012.

Passive M-sport (704) was just too firm for my typical driving and the roads I use. I tried different wheel sizes on the F10 with the base suspension. Different ride quality for sure. I didn't try 20" as my dealer had tried and removed them, because the chassis was ruined on anything but smooth surfaces.

I tried an F10 with Adaptive Drive on a 19" staggered set. VDC was going to be the answer, particularly as the F10/11 has 'three' base settings, the middle setting working perfectly around the spring rate for best adaptive damping. The F10 rear spring rate is, IMO, a bit too high, and that resulted in a bit more 'pitter-patter' from the road, than I expected. Sport setting meant it would fidget a bit on poor surfaces.

I was wanting an F11 wagon, so put together the spec', I understood would work best. I gained info' that the F10/11 was optimised on 18" wheels for Adaptive Drive. I didn't want staggered, as the rear wheels would be heavier and cause more rear jitter and interference. As the wagon has rear air springs, I'd not have a higher than needed spring rate. Air springs are a variable rate (due to self levelling) adjust according to the load in the car. With the feeling, "Got it... would it work?"

Absolutely, the best riding and handling F10/11 setup I'd driven. Just what I was after. I drive most of the time in the middle, 'Normal' mode. The chassis and ride is so balanced in the Normal adaptive mode. Use Sport when driving some of the better driving roads and it is a very composed and compliant ride, even on the RFTs.

I know I could possibly improve the comfort a bit with non run-flats, but using a 17" RFT in winter, I know the chassis softens on the 17". I sense with summer non run-flats, I'd be in Sport mode all the time to firm the chassis a bit. Or need to go up to a 19".

I went through the changes of tires and suspension in my E91 wagon, back in 2007, when RFTs were really "night and day" different to the typical UHP tire. Removing the RFTs, gave more comfort, but I had to change (improve) the damping, as it was too soft and handling wasn't good enough.

RFTs are different today, than back in the early E60/E90 days. But we seem to be more obsessed with bigger rims these days and lower profile tires. Scoring a home goal, IMO.
Appreciate 0