View Single Post
      08-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Run flats are a great concept - but a pretty lame and expensive product at the moment.
I ditched my OE runflats after 10k miles on my Z4...they were worn down to nothing.

I put Pirelli P-Zero-Nero M&S's on (at 1/3 the cost of the runflats) and haven't worried about it. I've run w. this tire on 2 different cars since they brought it out in the early 2000's. Caught a 6" knife in my sidewall on I-70 in St. Louis with 2" in the tire...no problem.
As you know BMW has a tire-leak indicator light on the dashboard that is very accurate- I'm not running in the desert or some forlorn place that doesn't have tire-repair shops.

My advice, take the runflats off almost immed after getting your 1-er and store them. Put 'em back on when you turn in the car off lease or cpo inspected.

Run-flats don't have the bite and traction/adhesion that a quality hi-performance or ultra-high performance tire has...and now that a variety of manufacturers are making all-season u-h-p's the runflats are a piss-poor choice that every BMW customer is stuck with.
Appreciate 0