View Single Post
      07-09-2023, 12:02 PM   #12
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
First, the overall car market is totally screwed. When you are getting ADM on a freaking Civic SPORT, not even a Type R, what do you expect for a GT?

Second, the 911 R kicked this whole thing off when it proved that people wanted a GT car with a manual. Porsche finally woke up and started building that for the 991.2. Then they realized they could print money with special editions, and expanded PTS and CXX orders and the game was on. When COVID hit, they saw people were willing to pay stupid money for GT cars and made sure that their real supply constrictions stayed that way, even as dealers starved for cars.

Dealers have whale customers. I am super poor compared to most customers at my local dealer. They started playing the game of "don't pay me ADM, but buy the car and flip it back to me in 6 months at MSRP, and then I'll sell it 'used' and make my money then. In return I'll get you allocation of next GT car". Rinse and repeat, add the runaway success of the 992 Turbo to the mix and boom, the market is where it is.

Yesterday I saw a 718 Spyder with about $5k miles for $135k at my dealer. I think sticker was about $115k. Sheesh.
Correct. And this is the very reason many dealers refuse to sell to out of market clients. If you're a dealership in TX and you sell to someone in IL, you will not get to service the car and you most certainly will never see it again. Dealerships have mastered the art of making money off the same car for years even as it continues to change hands. I was able to find a dealership willing to sell a GT car out of market, but it came at a cost.
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1878.50