Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I don't see the appeal to CarPlay... I don't see the appeal to most of it truthfully...

Also don't see the uproar over $300 for 20 years lol... That's, pretty damn cheap when you break it up monthly... it's a $1.25 a month...

It's grimey but if you want it, you have to pay the $1.25 a month... Yes yes, if it's a lease it's only 3 years (2 years really of paid CarPlay) but still, it's only $12.50 a month...
That's one perspective--and it's a reasonable one, too.

However, price vs. principle is what's igniting this fire. BMW are charging a rental (or subscription) fee for a one-time piece of software--there's no backend service, there's no cloud element beyond the money Apple are already making from the phone and its subscriptions; there's no special feature-set above and beyond what iPhone customers get in a Kia... and then there's the entry-point price premium for a BMW. This is nickel and diming on features that don't justify a subscription service and it's that--in principle, not in price--that's pissing people off... me included.
Did I or did I not say it's grimey !!! Oh snap, Grimey-Limey... It works lol...

I completely agree it's grimey but what are we going to do? Revolt and not renew subscriptions? Cuz that's the only way it's going to cause an impact and change...

I just look at it as I'm gonna pick and choose my battles and $1.25 or $12.50 is not a battle I want to waste whatever time I got remaining on the planet is all...

Shits popping off all over the world and we up in arms over $1.25... I'm more concerned with if Hockeytyme is gonna beat Limey's trap speeds...
You ask what folks are gonna do: not pay —you have your answer.

As for me and HockeyTyme: I sincerely hope he does. He and I have been working closely together for the past 3 or 4 days to get him fully up and running. He's there now and already running competitive times. Now it's time for tinkering with fuel and map 6.

As Mike and I have discussed at length, I won't modify my car to that extent for my own reasons but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with his and GTEnedIO's cars and their more free-breathing setups—hopefully my experiences and input prove fruitful.
Appreciate 0