View Single Post
      03-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #69
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Max hp for me depends on things like weight and torque. Personally, I think between 400-500hp is about perfect for the street. I currently have 3 performance cars at my disposal: A heavily modded Corrado VR6 with about 250hp; generally stock e92 M3 with 414hp; and a completely stock Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT with 470 hp. The corrado is my lightest car, by far, weighing in at about 2700 lbs. That car feels about adequate--not super fast, but ok. Though it needs to be driven hard to get the car moving. The BMW is a lot heavier, with a lot more power and the delta not nearly being as big on the torque side vs the VW. This car is interesting in that you can drive the car entirely normal and sedately if that's your wish. It's not terribly quick under 3500 rpms. Like VW, this car needs to be wrung out and once you do that, this car flies. But because of the Jackle and Hyde nature of this vehicle, it's perfectly driveable. And even when pushed hard you can still have fun and not feel like it's dangerously fast. The Jeep weighs a lot more than the M3. It has a good amount more power and vastly more torque. The whole experience feels a lot more immediate, but again, it doesn't feel like it's too much. If I need/want to move swiftly past traffic, I can easily do so. There's a little bit of work that needs to be done to get moving, but the torque feels great.

I think the caveat here is that it's really a lot about what you're used to. I've been driving 400+hp cars since 2012, so they don't seem super fast or unmanageable. If I moved up to a 600hp car, I'd probably lose my mind. But owners who already have a 600hp or greater vehicle probably don't feel that the power is too much. I would image folks who own and have a lot of seat time in Hellcat powered vehicles, probably think that 600hp vehicles aren't that impressive.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8208.00
5.M0NSTER3353.50