09-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
So as an Atlanta native, can I trade area tips for event tips? This will be my first Petit Le Mans but I just got invited and signed up for the BMW hospitality chalet thing. Saturday only, hoping to get up there in the morning to poke around at everything before the race.

Most of my race event experience has been Indy and NASCAR so far - this looks like a much more free-flowing vibe throughout the day? Any parts to be sure we are around for?

Area tips:
- Chateau Elan is great but not surprised it's already booked up. If you're into wine, lots of other (better) wineries toward Dahlonega if you want to wander over there before/after your days at Road Atlanta. Fair warning - Georgia wine on the whole tries hard, but has its limits.
- Lake Lanier is great. A bit of a drive to Lake Lanier Islands which is where the more formal park setup is with manufactured beaches, etc. But lots of the bigger marinas along the east side of the lake and around Gainesville will rent little daysailers and stuff. Generally you will want to call ahead but can be a good distraction.
- Lawrenceville isn't a bad area but it's really just a residential suburb. If choosing between that and Gainesville or a Lake Lanier lake house, take one of the latter two. Or really in thay area, find a cool cabin on a lake or in the woods or something. Don't expect to be sightseeing in this part of the state.

Happy to answer more local questions, and welcome any tips on getting the most out of the event!
Thanks! I'll be back and forth between the BMWCCA corral and the hospitality chalet. This is my first PLM, but I've been to many other IMSA/F1 races in the past. I'm not sure what's a good area to watch the race (certain turns or grandstands), but depending on the weather, will probably watch from the corral/chalet. I'm staying at the Lake Lanier resort, since BMWCCA reserved some rooms there at a decent rate.

Just curious, where did you sign up for the chalet? I already have my credentials for it, but have a friend that I'd like to get in

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0