View Single Post
      09-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #24
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Having had RX7s and still an original owner of a low mileage RX8, I can say there are nothing quite like driving these things on B country roads or at the track. The chassis out of the box is sublime and comfortable. It's Mazda magic. I enjoy winding up the turbine smooth Wankel piston feels barbaric in contrast at such high levels of revs. The general car enthusiast ignorance to the rotary is astounding. This engine does require care and attention. Our BMWs also require the care and attention too. And BMWs have its fair share of component failure.

That said, I do not believe rotary engine will come back as a main propulsion solution for an automobile due to emissions. Mazda is a small company and their R&D can only do so much. I applaud them for coming out with innovative engine designs like the new Skyactive-X when most mfg throw in the towel for ICE. Mazda's design philosophy is just artful, a HUGE contrast to BMW's design ethos. Seriously, glowing giant grilles? Numb EPS? Fake exhaust noise? As a driving enthusiast, BMW is doing all sorts of wrong these days.

It be great if Mazda comes up with an inline-6 RWD sedan/coupe. Don't even need turbo as long as it's light and agile. Again something Mazda is generally good at. If a car mfg can deliver on its premise for a driver's car, Mazda would be one of them.... and I can't wait. RX-9.... doubt it. Want to, but doubt it.
I agree 100%. I had 4 FDs, 2 FBs and one RX-8. None of them have left me stranded on the side of the road. My BMWs have (my current M4 just did at 5400 miles). My 2nd FD had 220k miles on the original engine before it was torn down for a porting not because it failed. What did I do to them, maintain them regularly and didn’t abuse them. Drove them every day because they were my daily drivers.

Now do I think Mazda should bring the rotary back? No. The RX-8 killed most of the rotary engine nostalgia with new comers and I think it will hurt sales. Mazda does need to bring something to fill that hole though.
Appreciate 0