View Single Post
      10-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I think you're in for a surprise if you try to predict what will happen next, or in 2-3 years. We're in unprecedented times.

Car manufacturers learned some very hard lessons as a result of the pandemic. And this chip "shortage" is not exactly accurately reported. Yes, there is a "shortage" for some semiconductors. The majority of the issues are related to legacy designs that are low margin products to the chip fab owners. The auto industry has been in a rut using outdated designs and semiconductors that were state of the art a decade ago. The only higher production company I'm aware of that doesn't follow this mantra is Tesla. The problem began with auto manufacturers, and their oems, holding off and even canceling orders during 2020. The chip fabs took those slots and booked higher margin semiconductors and those orders came in strong. To compound the issue, these fabs are commonly behind schedule due to supply chain problems and raw material shortages. So, now the auto industry and their oem partners (Bosch, Siemens, Continental, etc) scramble to secure fab slots, while at the same time shifting designs to more modern hardware. So, while no one can accurately predict when this "shortage" will end, it will, and future car electronics will benefit, which means consumers benefit.