View Single Post
      10-18-2019, 04:52 AM   #1
CoolWave911
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 530i M Sport

Thoughts on the G30 after one year of ownership (3 Warranty Claims)

Hey guys, sorry for the rather long read but I wanna share my thoughts on the G30 after a year of ownership and the issues as well as my experience in dealing with them.

A bit of background info on my vehicle:

2017 built in Germany, probably one of the first units being built and spec towards the end of 2016. Delivered Feb 2017 and is currently about 54000km on the odo. I知 the second owner at 19000Km when bought, warranty will run out in March 2020 and thankfully I have been able to address a lot of faults while the factory warranty is still valid otherwise I知 sure I値l be thousands dollars out of pocket later on.

So far I have 3 warranty claims on the car which I decided to share in detail with you regarding each of the fault and how to best approach BMW detailing the fault and get these rectified as soon as the problem arise:

- Wireless charging pad: As explained elsewhere on the forum, my charging pad suddenly started to show the amber charging indicator instead of the normally blue coloured. BMW technician tested it for one minute, concluded that my charging pad was normal; I stood my ground an asked them to test for extended period and voilla, they agreed that it was faulty. The phone would get really really hot if got left in the charging pad while it is showing the orange charging indicator. I can assure you guys that this is not healthy for your device at all considering how hot it was at tines.

Replacement charger ordered from Germany and came with an improved rubber surface which now hold phones and the Display Key in place while I知 driving, they used to be just sliding around and not charing at all. The original rubber was smooth and rather slippery, the new texture is grippy to the touch and does the job really well.

- Coin compartment under the headlight control: One day my coin compartment just fell open and cannot be latched again. I found a piece of metal which turns out to be a spring in the latch mechanism. Reported the fault to BMW and they also ordered a replacement together with the wireless charing pad.

The replacement compartment not only has an improved latch mechanism that feel really solid when closing and opening; it also now lined with a soft fabric like finish and completely eliminate rattling noises caused by the coins. This was one of the things that I thought BMW should have done in the first place, thankfully they implemented this into the later runs of the production so this could be standard on current units I guess.

- Loss of coolant & Radiator leak which directly related to the low coolant warnings over the one year period, 7-8 times the car gave me the low coolant warnings and had to topped up. Always been topped up with BMW genuine blue coolant mixed with demineralised water at 1:1 ratio. Initially there was no visible symptoms of a leak, as some of you might have already experienced, the warnings will go away after topping up the radiator. However, it finally got worse and started to visibly leaking coolant on the left hand front wheelwell after every drive. It feels to me the leak gets worse as the vehicle ages. Maybe for the others you won稚 see this issue as bad as my case but my vehicle being used extensively so it accelerated the problem.

Reported the concern to a Service Consultant and was told that the technician topped it up with water already (I kinda felt annoyed that they didn稚 use genuine coolant). I tried to get them to have a serious look at the issue but was told that this is quite common for this model to lose a bit of coolant. Over the next 3 months or so the car constantly asked for coolant more and more frequently and I documented every single one with photo of the dry reservoir and date as well as the warning screen in iDrive. Once it visibly leaking coolant under the car I called the BMW Roadside Assistance helpline and got it towed back to the dealership which they now deem the vehicle not safe to drive and an emergency diagnosis has to be performed.

What I liked is how they handled the whole thing at this stage versus the rather skeptical approach at the dealership level. They sent the tow truck to pick up my car, organised a paid hire car for me for 5 days because the dealership ran out of BMW loaners. They also organised a taxi to pick me up at work and drove me to Hertz car rental (2019 KIA Optima arranged which is not the cheapest rental option, quite thoughtful BMW!).

BMW identified the issue to a leaked expansion tank and it has to be replaced. Funny enough they have spares lying around as if this kind of fault is now a known issue whereas the other 2 minor parts had to be back ordered and flown in from Germany with a 4 weeks wait. I値l be picking the vehicle up tomorrow and it should be all rectified.

Conclusion: Luckily I was able to get these fixed while the vehicle is still under warranty otherwise the coolant leak alone would have costs thousands to start with and then other associated costs to not having a vehicle for days. My advice would be take your vehicle to BMW as soon as you seen the mentioned symptoms before your warranty runs out especially people with early 2017 production units with only a few months on warranty left.
Attached Images

Last edited by CoolWave911; 10-19-2019 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
brissim85.50