View Single Post
      08-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
FWIW I have the H&R springs and I am happy with them. I don't notice any real harshness from them, and I haven't had any strut problems related to them. Also, as most of you know, I do track my car fairly frequently.

I had 9 track days on the hr springs. It honestly did not feel bad. When I added in the m3 control arms it lowered the car another 1/2 inch so I started to investigate the front end some more.

Problem is with or without the Lower control arms, you are basically running on a compressed bump stop, with a spring that can not hanle the load. This transmits a lot of stress to the suspension components and the shock top mounts or camber plates. Basically like hitting the suspension with a sledgehammer everytime the car bottoms out. None of this is visible because of the dust shield.

The bump stops are meant to be part of the spring rate, but they are not meant to be compressed at static load. The suspension needs movement to work and the hr springs do not allow it.

If you remove the bump stop, and set the car down there is maybe 1/2 of visible shock top on the hr springs when at static load, which is way way out of spec.

In other words the car is not being supported by the springs but more by the bumpstop. That is not even under deflection when the load is multiplied. I only see this ending one way with the camber plates broken by the shock top or extreme premature wear on the shock and wheel bearings.

Again, I have all three springs at my shop and will do the photos next week, but run the h and r springs at your own peril.
Appreciate 1