bmeaggie
The Engineer
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasM4
Have you considered an e85 mixture? Plenty of gas stations around with e85 at the pump. Also I might be wrong but I think you can buy cans of high octane fuel from auto parts stores like autozone/oreillys.
Thanks for the reply.

You are right on both accounts. E85 is all over the place and cheap as dirt. Several shops in the area sell race gas by the container.

I only get a good quality mix using the e85/93 octane blend formula like 1/3 tries. I know when I my mix didn't work out right when I misfire at high RPM. You can do your math right and calculate a perfect 30% ETOH mix every time and still get crappy results.

I'm no gas expert, but honestly Map 7 is for 100+ octane, and if one creates a mixture of 30/70 ETOH to gas by mixing with pump 93, I don't think you wind up at 100 octane, plus if the E85 is of poor quality, results are even worse.

It works well sometimes, but I've decided it's too much of an pain. So not messing with it for now.

You also have to wonder about ETOH and if our cars have any internal components that may not like a 30% ETOH blend too often.

I may just buy a drum of high quality 100-110 octane unleaded fuel and stick it in the corner of my garage for special Map 7 occasions.
Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler, Diffuser, Splitters
Appreciate 0