LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereldo View Post
Noted. Based on my understanding, the voltage dictates the charge time and "quality" of charge more so than the amperage. I also understand that any outlet provides 80% of it's maximum amp rating. Now the questions becomes, should I have a dedicated 20 amp 240 v outlet (80% of 20 amp would be 16 amp) vs utilizing my 30 amp 220 v (maybe it 240 v) dryer outlet.

I will need to consider the cost of a new dedicated circuit with the 20 amp 240 v option. There is also the matter of finding an aftermarket charging cord (like BMW turbo cord) that can handle both 15 amp 120 v circuit and 20 amp 240 v circuit. With 30 amp 240 v dryer outlet, that cord will have to be different due to different socket type.

Sorry my knowledge on electricity is limited.

In summary:

20 AMP 240 V - I will need a new circuit and a level 2 charging cord (aftermarket or BMW turbo cord)

30 AMP 240 V - I will need a level 2 charging cord that can fit into a dryer outlet

I will look into aftermarket level 2 charging cord based on your recommendation.

I've been driving in battery control mode since I purchased the car a month or so ago in order to keep it in good health - in exchange for abysmal fuel economy. I understand that is not the most cost effective way of driving as charging with ICE costs more than with using a charger. My daily commute is about 30 KMs
And so I would prefer the quick and "packed" charge (for lack of a better term, the quick charge allows the battery unit to holds more electrons vs slow charge?)

Thank you for taking the time to share all the details and helping me better understand all the options.

Cheers!
Your understanding is correct. You'll get better charging efficiency and speed out of a 16A @ 240V than you would out of a 16A @ 120V.

From my understanding, you can reuse an existing socket with something like the TurboCord, but it is advised to not be using anything else on the line at the same time. As the EV will pull its power load 100% of the time it is charging compared to something like a dryer which will have small bursts at the peak range. So running both could trip the breaker and overload the line.

I would check for any incentives for adding a dedicated EVSE first and if that doesn't pan out then I'd see if using a turbo cord can work out. They can be had on eBay for a reasonable price and if they can do the job for you that's great. Also, the BMW TurboCord should be covered under your car warranty since it is BMW OEM and, at least in the US, that would get warranty coverage from BMW. YMMV on this though as I don't know if it is the same in Canada.

I've used Battery Control to charge on the rare case I want a charge at my destination (for preconditioning), but I forgot to set it before I left home to hold the charge instead of making it. I find it is going to cost you ~10MPG or so if you're able to do it at highway speeds. A fairly expensive way to charge, but cheaper than many public chargers.

Glad I could help. Love my 530e and always happy to exchange information with other owners
Appreciate 0