View Single Post
      06-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #52
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I don't think a Z5 with xDrive is on the cards. Why can't the BMW demonstrate the similar levels of power but with less cylinders?
Its the change which is coming and not necessarily for this car but the BMW Power eDrive power train is a six cylinder albeit assisted drivetrain with 670PS. It illustrates a possible future for performance.
And besides the Jaguar is not a light car.
Sure, but as you had said earlier and again mention here, Power eDrive is not currently planned for this car either.

It's true that a lighter car needs less power to compete with a heavier car, but in this market you are more likely to get enthusiasts on board by coming out swinging and taking the segment by storm. I just don't see that happening with an I4 and I6. I'm sure it'll be a fine car, just as the outgoing Z4 was. But M3 owners who were contemplating a sports car used to talk about the Z4 M and the Boxster in the same sentence. BMW even had the coupe back then, before the Cayman came along if I recall. That's all history now. There's just not the same pedigree and therefore not the same excitement. It would be great to see that rekindled, but this Z5 doesn't sound like it's going to get BMW there.
Appreciate 0