06-23-2016, 08:49 AM   #55
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonNW View Post
Serious question, why does a "sports car" need a "sports version"? (Edit: I don't mean a hardcore version, that's another debate.)

Perhaps this has been the problem with Z cars all along. The base models have been quite pedestrian, and never held a stick against the industry benchmark Boxster. The M variants, while neat, have largely been small volume compromised afterthoughts.

Whatever is in the card for Z, I hope something is competitive with the Boxster. I've been close to jumping to that camp for a while now.
I own a 2004 Z4 3.0i sport pack which has replaced a 1st get Boxster sport pack. While the Boxster held an edge in steering feel, handling wise I can assure you the two are comparable. But the Z is much better put together and more reliable, has the better engine and transmission, and since I don't have to worry about the engine grenading all the time, I drive it harder and enjoy it more.

There is nothing pedestrian about it, it's a sports car, a real roadster.

The thing weighs under 3000 lbs. All BMW has to do is make the Z5 more like the first gen Z4 and stick a 6 cylinder engine in it - now that the Boxster has switched to uninspiring turbo fours, it might get easily beat.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1