Thread: Cigarette smell
View Single Post
      10-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

My previous BMW was a F01 750i that I bought used. It was a former smoker's car, and the dealer did a fabulous job of removing most of that odor with (I think) the Meguiar's odor eliminator product. The problem for me was that I can't stand the smell that the Meguiar's left behind. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get rid of it, including more deodorizers, scrubbing the carpets, bombing everything with baking soda and then vacuuming it up, and scrubbing the leather. It turns out that the leather seats (and especially the steering wheel) kept in an awful lot of the odors, including the remnants of the smoke.

I presume it was the Meguiar's because I had some (came as part of a kit that I won in a contest) and it smelled exactly the same.

I never could get rid of the smell, although it got less noticeable, it was one of the primary reasons I got rid of the car and bought a new 5.

The last bit of leather cleaner I got was awesome and did a great job. I can't remember the name, but will look for it tonight if anyone cares.

Oh yeah, and ditto on replacing those air filters. And scrub the steering wheel. I think a lot of detailers miss that, and smokers' fingers will be stinky.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)

Last edited by LuvMyE92; 10-10-2019 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: words, spelling and other words
Appreciate 0