02-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
As far as I know, they either didn't specifically mention the engine, or said it was good. The buyer wasn't looking for a project, so if they had been told that there was any doubt over the condition of the mechanical side, they definitely would have passed on the car. It was sold as a reasonably low mile (MY 2011, 70000) example, in good roadworthy condition, with a fresh MOT; that much I do know.

There is no way that the seller didn't know there were problems, even if there's no direct confirmation/denial in writing. They drove the car (or maybe trailered it) a few hundred miles to deliver it, and the CEL came on within a few (literally less than 5) miles of the buyer driving it. The standard of workmanship on the engine is woeful, though it wasn't necessarily the seller who did the work. The buyer have had another MOT test performed as a road worthiness check, and the car failed (I haven't heard why, yet).

Thanks
I am not up to speed on the UK legal system but if your friend bought a used car without any written representations regarding the quality and working ability of the engine, your friend may have an uphill battle.

If he had written that the engine is sound and works well, that would be a different matter.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0