11-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
I can't find the link now, but there is something related to how the CCM materials are layered that causes the wear to accelerate significantly once the pads are beyond 50%. From what I remember, this is a pretty important factor, but I'd guess that most people will ignore it and bitch that their CCB's are trashed after 2 track days.
Thank you, it would be great if you come across that link, we have quite a bit to learn. I'll keep it to 50% wear at most until we know more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
You want to avoid any chance of getting close to the rivets that secure the pad to the backing plate as that will destroy the rotor. Also, the thinner the pad material the higher the heat radiated to the rotor, again increasing wear. Therefore, never start a session with well worn pads. On the Brembo CCBs on the ZR1, there are aggressive track drivers who have managed to keep the CCBs for years by always changing the pads when they are down to 1/3rd of the thickness. I have also seen this mentioned with the Porsche crowd when tracking with the CCBs, but some owners even mention replacing the pads at 1/2th thickness prior to a session. This may seem overkill to someone, but pads are extremely cheap compared to a CCM rotor particularly for the Porsche and BMW owners; (the rotors are much cheaper for the ZR1 even though damn near identical).

A "non-aggressive" HPDE driver would be someone who is perhaps in the intermediate group and is a 'light' braker IMHO.

Bish
I guess it makes some sense, except that heat transfer should happen through the path of least physical resistance, so I would assume that heat would actually go towards the calipers and then to the fluid. But heat transference and thermal capacity of various materials (pads, rotors, calipers, etc.) is where I have least knowledge. Thank you for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
As a tidbit, I usually find that the intermediate/advanced students are the ones that are the toughest on their brakes. They have gained sufficient confidence to become decently quick, but tend to overbrake every corner .
I agree as my experience has been similar.
Appreciate 0