View Single Post
      09-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
richiemail
Private
Rep
Drives: X4 M40d (G02) LCI

Carplay issues with sound cutting out

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, googling hasn't turned anything useful up.

If I use Carplay with my iPhone 8 (always Spotify) music starts fairly promptly after ignition (20-30 seconds), but I get really bad audio drops most of the time, sound drops for 2-5 seconds but the elapsed track time on the carplay screen keeps moving. I did think this was Spotify streaming at first, but even downloaded music has this issue. The problem seems to be between the head unit and the phone.

As a result I switched back to the iDrive/Apps approach of phone integration. However, using this approach Spotify can take well over a minute to pickup (never get audio drops once it's going I should add), and probably 2/5 times it doesn't connect at all. If I try to select it in the media menu I get a spinning wheel indicator next to Spotify indefinitely (until I go back to CarPlay. Where I stay until a bad period of audio drop outs, when I go back to iDrive).

Round and round it goes. My iPhone is an 8, so not old. Car was registered in Jan 2018. Just trying to understand if the wireless audio performance is bad for a lot of people, or my experience is particularly bad, and warranting a dealer visit.

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0