M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
This is all relative. If you have had not-so-quick cars, then maybe a 540 is enough for you.

For those of us who have had super powerful cars, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds isn't going to do jack.

There is a much larger difference between a 550 versus the 540 than there will be the 550 vs the M5 and the small difference does not justify the $30k price for the M5 over the 550.

I also don't know how I feel about the M badging on the 550. I tend not to like stuff like that...especially after having owned real M cars.

I'm sure the 540 is a solid car.....but I think it comes down to power. I don't think people buy the 550 for the M badging....they bought it because even if it was badged a Pokemon 550i, it still is the fastest BMW to date and will only be surpassed by another model $30k more. All of this talk is really an indictment of the M5. If you don't think a 550 is worth the extra dough, you can imagine how the M5 looks to people.
Spot on comments MJR!
Many people's dream is M5 not M550!: The perception and legendary status of M5 set it apart