03-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #19
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I don't believe getting one's shit together is a "Yesterday I didn't have my shit together and today I do" event. I think it's a process of life events. Also, I think having our shinola together is relative to our age group.

I kind of had my shinola together by age 22, right after I separated from the Army. My new bride and I moved into a small apartment in a college neighborhood. Compared to the antics and partying of our neighbors, I felt much more mature, even though we were about the same age.

Eleven years later, my dad passed away unexpectedly at the young age of 55. Reality check: My shinola wasn't as together as I thought it was. Overnight, I had to take the helm of our family business. It was very humbling. The learning curve was steep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
My parents were strict when I was growing up so I always kinda had my shit together. I was mowing lawns/working on a farm when I was 10, and saved money to buy my first dirt bike and my first car by myself. I played sports, rode dirt bikes with my friends, but never really partied as I didn't have time. At 16 I got a part-time job after school, and along with sports that took up a lot of my time. I worked two jobs while going to college, and now I work full-time and have a side business.

I think "having your shit together" is a sliding scale, and many people never really have it together. Everyone has something going on in their life. I know many people who would appear to have their shit together and living the perfect life, but have some very sad mental or physical things that bring them down.
You both bring up great points. Many might think they have everything figured out, but when you get hit with a life changing event then you really start to understand your position. I might be doing okay now, but if my father passed all of the sudden it would be a complete sh*t show for my family. Even my youngest brother is doing well in comparison to some, at least he is fully self-sustaining at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Some days though, instead of having my shit together, it just felt like it was being pushed in. But I think that's everyone. I think you are taking the right tack with your brother, hopefully he finds the motivating force he needs to do something.
I hope he does as well, like I mentioned I just want him to act on his own accord. Those decisions are the ones that define a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
hmmmm...probably when my wife said she will take half my shit that was 26 years ago
Sheesh, I have two months until I tie the knot and you're telling me I have to have my sh*t together by then!? lol
Appreciate 1