View Single Post
      08-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #21
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Stupid question but I’m just curious inside the mind of a car collector. Would a car collector ever rack up miles on this or keep this stored? Is it against car collector protocol to ever rack up miles on something like this? Are all car collectors driving enthusiasts?
This particular car was sold at an RM auction back in 2010 for $48,400, and it had 69 miles on it then. I'm pretty sure the owner (Griot) has kept it since then, so he put 368 miles on it...to answer your question. If the car had been driven say 10k miles, it would sell at EAG for about $80-90k. So in this case, I would think it very critical that it has only been driven this much. If it had never been driven and still had 69 miles on it, it would likely be bid stronger at the auction.

Numerous other ulta-low mileage BMWs that BigGar took care of were sold at that auction also.

As to your last question, I would guess most personal collectors are at least somewhat car nuts. However, in the past 5-6 years given the central bank forced asset inflation and free money floating around (negative yields in EU, etc), a number of hedge funds/alternative investment funds have been bidders on collector cars...anything that might give some return while using other people's money. That aspect has greatly inflated the collector car market, especially at the high end of European cars.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 2
F30lolz6798.50