Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal540 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I went from factory 20s to 19" Nina runflats. I bought all the components for a compact spare and built my own enclosure. The tires ride better and are quieter. Handing feels basically the same with the caveat that I live in a horrible place for spirited driving.
I have no room for a spare or jack. I could keep it at my house. Sucks
I have a 2019 540i xdrive with 245/40/19 non runflat tires all around... I currently have the spare tire option but previously had a 2015 535i xdrive with the same size non runflat tires and have always carried a portable air compressor with a foam tire can for emergencies. I check my tires every few weeks and adjust accordingly with the air compressor instead of going to a gas station. Amazon sells the Viair 85P for about $50 which is well worth it. Coupled with the BMW and Geico roadside assistance I felt I was pretty well covered. I also had a blackjack plug kit just in case but never had to use it.

Other than the occasional nail and slow leak that I could fill with air temporarily to get me to my tire shop for an inside patch the only time I had a huge issue was when both driver side tire sidewalls were shredded by a pothole and I needed a flatbed to my tire shop for tire replacement. Since it was the sidewalls runflats wouldn't have helped the situation.

I previously experienced and have heard so many horror stories about runflat sidewall bubbles, bent wheels, blowouts, terrible ride quality, expensive replacement, wheel/tire insurance, etc. that I avoid them like the plague. There are many cars that don't have spare tires due to cargo space/weight considerations and don't have runflats as standard equipment. I generally think if you maintain your tire pressure/condition and are careful where you drive you're more likely to be trouble free than if you frequent construction sites, drive down alleys, or neglect the upkeep with psi and tread. Just my 2 cents...
This is what I was looking for. Thanks so much.
Appreciate 1