10-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #10
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I've got a lot of conservative friends thinking about moving. Not me though, I love it down here. Cost of living is high, but that's okay, gotta pay to play: The weather is nice, the location is prime. We have mountains, beaches, deserts, forests, night life... all within an hour or so drive. I don't know how much taxes others are paying, but I am doing just fine.

As far as social unrest, there is definitely tension because of the diversity of people and opinions. I can see how if someone can't come to terms with living with a difference of opinion, that maybe its easier to move away where there are more like-minded people. However, tolerance is more than just letting things go, it's about the capacity to endure. You can't challenge your ideals and grow as a person if you choose to run away from other opinions. I couldn't imagine going to another country and NOT trying the local cuisine, or studying and trying to understand a local culture and lifestyle. Why would my open-mindedness suddenly be closed just because I am in my own country?

I have family and friends here... roots. If I'm not happy, then I'll do what it takes to make it better as a citizen of this state. On a similar note, if I don't agree with how the US government is run, do I move to Canada? That's not very patriotic. That doesn't make our country stronger and it doesn't make me stronger. It's kinda just running away from a problem to be more comfortable. I don't live simply yearning for comfort.
I don't think differences of opinion are the main reason people are leaving. It's just being pragmatic. There is a disproportionately large amount of wealthy people leaving. They pay very high taxes, and what do they get out of it? Riots closing down parts of the city? Businesses being boarded up? Homeless people sleeping in front of their expensive homes, and the police aren't allowed to tell them to move. Crime rate going up, and people want to de-fund the police? I'm not trying to say that the only thing that matters is your personal economic interests, but you can't blame people for wanting to move away from an uncomfortable situation.

What can they do to "make it better?" The people moving out aren't the ones creating the problems. By that logic, they are just relocating and it doesn't affect the situation in any place.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI

Last edited by Merami fan; 10-23-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00