View Single Post
      06-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Mote
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 - 1991 E30

Arrow My Project E30 - S52 Engine Swap - More!

As featured on Bimmerpost Homepage.

So I figured I would start this thread here for anyone interested in the progress of my project E30 and swapping an S52 motor('99 M3) into it.

I will post pictures of the progress of my E30 beginning today. And I would like to carry this thread and see it through all the way to the cars completion.

Just some background info on my E30:

Year: 1991
Make/Model: BMW 325i 5MT
Mods: Stock M20B25 engine 168 bhp, 15" Sport Max 501 Wheels, Cut springs (previous owner)

Project plans: S52B32 Motor with tranny, catless race headers, OBD1 convserion, ECU software upgrade, 3.73 diff. Custom catback exhaust. Retuned suspension including new control arms, bushings, ball joints and tie rods, coils. 5 lug conversion. Sway bars and possible subframe reinforcement. Possible widened fender work and bigger wheels. Keeping the motor NA for now but building for boost later. Assorted body mods like MTECH2 kit and BBS RS wheels for show. Fuzzy dice.

I would have really loved to have done this swap myself and tackle this project head on, but unfortunately I just don't have the time/tools/equipment needed to complete something like this. For the rest of the work/upgrades I will be diving in head first!

UPDATE 6/18/09 - S52 engine which was purchased from a private seller in Seattle, Washington has arrived at the shop which is doing the swap. Castro Automotive Repair in North Hollywood, CA specializing in E30's specifically, turbocharging and motor swaps. These guys are amazingly good and priced very fair.

Today begins the process of removing the vulnerable stock M20 engine and prepping the car for it's new power plant. Will update later here with pictures of the actual engine.

The engine currently has it's factory headers in place and the first order of business is to purchase a set of catless race headers to replace them. After enough research on aftermarket headers I've decided to go with a set of very inexpensive Raceland eBay Headers.

These headers are dyno proven and a lot of people have issues with eBay performance parts. However headers are not rocket science. Mostly people pay more for perfect fitment. I'm certain this will need some slight modification (based on research I've read) but will be well worth the $200 asking price as opposed to Super Sprint or Active Autowerke (over $1,000). To get these to work on my engine I will have to block out the O2 ports. Basically convert them to OBD-1 compliant like the rest of the engine. Will post pics once the headers arrive!

Stay tuned!
Appreciate 0