View Single Post
      03-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #707
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You can just build a nice big brand new house here for that....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Dude, that has to be a HUGE reno project.

Details? What all are you planning on doing?

Agreed with Hawkeye, you might be able to knock-down and rebuild on your current lot for less than $400K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
There should be 50 pages of details to go through for a $400K reno. In addition to cutting fat, worry about details missing that will add on later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
You're not doing it right if you can still afford Campbell's soup and not the cheap store brand!

When we bought our house, one of my racing buddies gave us a Sam's Club brick of genuine Kraft mac and cheese boxes...with a card that said to save them for special days as a treat when the store brand got boring.

I just realized that I haven't eaten ramen noodles in over 10 years now. Maybe it's time to break ground on the heated driveway?????

Yeah, so the actual estimates from the contractors came in between $253K - $301K before the 13% HST tax (so total $286K - $340K after tax). Then we'll likely be in for $30K to the interior design firm by the time we are finished with lighting, drawings, and that, plus tax, and then there is some miscellaneous as well.

We are going back to the contractors and if they can get pricing under $200K before tax, then we'll go probably go ahead, since that will be probably close to $270K after tax for the renos.

What we are doing is this:
1. Gut master bath and make it modern. Not changing any of the plumbing, shower, bath, sinks and toilet are all staying where they are, just new ones for all except will use existing toilet. Re-tile floor and shower, new sink cabinets and sinks. Expand shower by roughly half a foot lengthwise. Paint.

2. Update kids bathroom, all plumbing stays the same again, just modernize and update sink & cabinet. New shower. Paint.

3. Take existing laundry room and gut it and create a third bathroom / guest bathroom. Add shower and sink and toilet and paint. Likely small cabinet.

4. Utilize one bay of our two bay garage and build divider wall between the bays leaving one space still as a garage to park in. The other bay that joins up to the house they will be raising the floor a little to add a heated floor, but turn it into a combo mudroom / laundry room with a dog bath in corner and places to store clothes, boots, etc.

5. The biggie - build another two car garage as a new addition to the house, join it to the house in terms of following the roof line (which is easy, the lines actually lend themselves well to the design). Not finished, no drywall or paint, just footings, concrete foundation and slab. Stucco finish.

They will need to move the generator and the hydro meter in order to build the garage.

In order to get the prices down, we are willing to forego the kids bathroom entirely, which would save $14K from the cheapest quote. Which means he'd still need to shave at least $40K additional to get us to go ahead with the project.

Otherwise, we're not going to do it.

We do like the approach of the cheapest contractor though - he said his process is very transparent, he will provide receipts for everything he spends money on so we can see it and he adds 15% on top as his profit.

My guess is (though I wasn't there and now I need to clarify) is this also includes subs, but not sure about non sub (ie. his labour). But seems like we would have a decent amount of involvement in the process.
Appreciate 1