Drives: GT3 & 1M

Garage List
2023 Model 3  [6.50]
2022 T4R TRD Pro  [5.00]
2011 1M  [6.67]
2014 991.1 GT3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
We are in a similar position. Yellow-ish finish on oak cabinet doors that remain in good shape but we also prefer white cabinets. I've been a little hesitant to refinish over the oak because I'm not sure how the white would look with the oak grains. But I also haven't been excited about replacing perfectly functional cabinets due to design preferences.

I was also a little concerned about spray inside the house. Did you DIY this or have someone do it? Were the cabinets removed entirely and sprayed outside, or was any spray inside?

The other issue I've got is that the cabinet door design is different than your doors and my wife doesn't like the design of our doors. So we looked into refinishing, but with new doors / drawer fronts and adding some 12" cabinets on top of the 42's for more storage. When I was done pricing that, it was still less expensive than new cabinets, but not significantly so we reached a point of analysis paralysis (which at the moment I'm happy about).

Anyway, your pics look good. We may scale back our aspirations and just refinish with existing doors and drawers in light of current / anticipated economic conditions.
That was the drawback on oak cabinets were the grains. I was worried about it as well but it actually turned out pretty well than I expected. Grain was barely noticeable from afar unless you get very close to it. With multiple coats of paint, to me, the grain became as an added texture which gave the cabinets a nice character. It did crossed my mind for a reface but that was also close to having new cabinets installed. There's about 23 cabinet doors in this kitchen and that will surely add up.

I hired the cabinet pros to do this job as it's very intensive time consuming. They took all the cabinet doors to their shop to be painted and then covered all the openings on the box. One guy that came in everyday to do all the masking and covering the whole kitchen and then 2 guys came in to start sanding and paint the box. The cabinet doors were sprayed at their shop and the box was brushed.

The kitchen was decommissioned for about a month as I also coordinated a schedule on a new countertop install and backsplash so there was a good downtime. I don't know how I got it to work working on 3-4 contractors to do the job but it all turned out very well with my schedule and family.

SOLD - MB M2 CS | SMB F80 M3 CS | E90 M3 | E90 335i | E46 M3 Vert | E39 M5 | E34 525i
Appreciate 1