View Single Post
      01-03-2022, 10:00 AM   #12
jrstech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittu View Post
I've ordered one. Should be here in 2wks. Got to be careful as there are many variations for F and G model cars. At least 3 different variations for G model cars. Below are the ones I've come across.

The cheapst one does not display drive letters (d,n,r, etc.). Contains 1 pcb inside. Theyre ok for cars where drive letters aren't on the gear knob such as the new 3 series. When searching online these are the most common. Its also the same type shown in the video posted further up the thread. Can be had for less than £200.

Then there are 2 others that do show drive letters. One similar to the quality above, where the letters are displayed in a cross pattern. Contains 2 PCBs, of which one is the same as above shifter. Can be had for £300

And the third type I've come across seems to be of better build quality where the drive letters are arranged in the normal layout and change colour when selected. Also contains 2 PCBs inside, but are different to the above. Best suited for the g30. These sell for £350.

On eBay they're overpriced. If you search hard enough on aliexpress, you'll occasionally see them on sale, even the more expensive one,which I paid only £200.

The installation is also different depending on which you pick. One of them is a simple swap of the gear knob, where as others requires you to take the gear shifter module out and partially disassemble it.

When my order arrives I'll install and post it here.

Link below of a good deal on aliexpress.
Be sure to message the seller to check its the exact model. As they use various stock images in their listing.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPql9IU
Thank you for this. Keep us posted on the install I'm quite interested for my M550.
'07 E92 335i (RET)
'89 E30 M3 (RET)
Appreciate 0