clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEV75 View Post
I took delivery of a 2018 540xi M Sport last week with 4600 miles on it. It was a demo\loaner. After a couple days of enjoying my new ride, I got the "check coolant" message. I was assured by the dealership that they checked the fluid levels before delivery and they told me that this was due to the cold weather in the northeast and that it should go away once the car heats up. Sure enough, it went away for a few days and then reappeared. I read through this post and decided to get some BMW coolant. I mixed it 50/50 with distilled water and popped the hood to take a look after the car spent the night in my garage. I checked it as advised while the car was cold and had not been started today. When I opened the door to pop the hood, the message appeared. The main coolant tank was well below the MIN indicator and I filled it right to the MAX indicator. It took about 20 oz of the 50/50 solution. I was surprised at that. When I checked the other coolant tank, it was just below the MAX indicator and it took about an ounce. I see no signs of any leakage on the tanks, caps, and hoses. I have not seen any coolant on the garage floor either. I am a little concerned about this after reading all of the posts and as everyone has mentioned, something is not right for this engine to be losing so much coolant. We all ask "where is it going"? I am going to monitor it and see whether it drops down again. Since both tanks are at the MAX line, is there any risk of this causing an issue once the car is driven and warms up? I am assuming that the answer is no, but I wanted to check with others. I am a little disappointed that I had to add coolant to a brand new car. I am going to see how it goes before bringing it into the dealer for service.
how many miles did you put on since delivery?
Appreciate 0