United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I’m a skeptic. Like the “tiny house” HGTV movement, I think it looks cool until you try to live in it, then it gets old really fast. I’d love to be proven wrong, but it looks like the sort of thing an engineer would jizz for and the rest would puke on.

I like the design, there is a cool factor, but living in it? Not for me. Give me something with a little more, what, romance?
After watching a few of the tiny house shows, I could see some of the designs being difficult to live with after the "cool" factor wears off. I can potentially see having one as a little vacation cabin on a plot of land somewhere, but never to live in full time.

Something I noticed with most of those shows I watched, is that the owners boasted on how much money they were saving, but they didn't have their own land to keep the tiny houses on. Many of them were either renting a plot, or keeping the house on land owned by other family members. Essentially, doesn't that make these tiny houses just another form of mobile home?

There was one episode however, that built a tiny house I really did like. The owners were building on land they already owned, a vineyard if I remember correctly. This tiny house was built with a permanent foundation and was about the size of a large one bedroom apartment. It also had a good sized outdoor space overlooking their property. It really was a functional and nice property that I could see working for someone who doesn't need much living space. I see this container housing project being very similar to this type of build.