View Single Post
      08-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Rustang Cobra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like a Masshole

Just sold my car today, my experience with Autotrader, Cars.com and CL

I just sold my 2004 Acura TSX this morning for $500 under my asking price of $11,000. It was in extremely good condition for the year and 104k miles on the clock.

I had listed it at Autotrader ($15 ad with 3 pics), Cars.com ($15 ad with 1 pic) and Craigslist (Free with 4 pics).

I just wanted to share my experience with used car listing sites.

AutoTrader.com: I had 3 inquiries and these were definitely the more serious buyers. They all asked for lots of additional photos, service history, previous owner information and generally asked the right questions.

Cars.com I had 1 inquiry which actually came through Yahoo Autos because they're paired up with Cars.com. Similar sort of buyer asking lots of questions and asking for photos.

Craigslist.com I had 3 inquries, 2 of which were low ball offers for $2500 under my asking price. The other inquiry was someone who just wrote an email saying "Is the car still available?" to which I responded "Yes, here is my contact information if you have any questions or would like to come see the vehicle". I got no further response.

The final buyer of the car was someone that lived 180 miles away and found the car on Autotrader.com

I figured this information might be valuable for folks thinking about selling their cars in the near future. I feel like when it comes to higher end brands/cars Autotrader.com is the way to go. If you're selling your old 92 Honda Civic craigslist is probably your best bet. I wouldn't use Cars.com again, my ad received very few views and only 1 inquiry even though there were only 6 other Acuras within +-$1000 of my price within 100 miles listed alongside mine.
Appreciate 0