View Single Post
      08-31-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
dya042
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Piggyback Chip Recommendations

All,

I am picking up my new 2018 540i tomorrow and would really love to get a little more performance from the engine. Looking at options, the best route for my budget looks like the piggyback chip. To that end, can you please provide me some guidance and advice? Experience and recommendations are hugely appreciated.

Here is what I found poking around the internet...

It looks like there are three major brands and a couple others:

Berger Motorsports (offers two models for the G30 - JB+ and JB4)
Dinan (offers two models for the G30 - Sport and Stage 1)
Race Chip (offers three models for the G30 - S, RS and GTS)
DTE Systems (offers two models for the G30 - PowerControl and PowerControlX)
Speed-Buster (offers one model for the G30 - Power Module)

Prices range from 199 (Berger JB+) to about 1300 (Dinan Stage 1)

Both Race Chip and DTE claim 15% to 20% fuel economy increases in addition to the power boost. A couple models (the most expensive of course) offer warm-up timers and some have apps (some free, some charge 50 bucks).

All of the chips are range bound at 40 to 90 HP and 50 to 90 torque increases.

@199, the JB+ seems like a great deal (at least on the specs) but I do not want to be short sited... or penny wise, pound foolish.

Doing some simple math, the HP to $ ratio runs between $6 and almost $18 per HP gain per dollar of cost. The Speed-Buster Power Module @ claimed 90 HP and cost of 550 is the leader and the Dinan Stage 1 @ about the same gains but with a price of $1260 is near the bottom (DTE Systems is the bottom @ almost $18).

From the math, easy choice, right? Speed-Buster. But... Dinan is the best and most trusted, right...? I see a lot of mentions of RC too...

So... did I miss any products?

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0