United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Weekend chores if the rain holds off.
Nice! Just put 11 bags of Milorganite down today. i think tomorrow i'll throw down the bug stuff. i found some grubs in my lawn when i was planting my spruce trees last month. didn't know that even tho the lawn is green you can still have grubs? i always thought if you started to see brown patches that's an indication of grubs? how do you like the Lesco?
I like Lesco a lot. I think it costs a little more but when I buy it and apply it myself it seems to leave trees (and lawn when I buy it for lawn) greener and overall more healthy (and for longer) than when I ask the lawn guy to fertilize. I think he just buys whatever is cheapest and his workers don't necessarily know how to apply. When DIY I only buy Lesco (which is not organic like Milorganite) and might supplement with something organic.

We have St. Augustine grass and pests (including grubs) and weeds seem to be constant battles (fungus can also be a problem mostly in the winter). We replaced the entire front lawn with new sod about 2 years ago. Within a year it was under attack by sod webworms. I was using a pest control service and I swear whatever they spray weakened the lawn but didn't bother the pests, so I dumped them and am going to start DIY again. I used to know a lot more about how to diagnose issues. I've got a book somewhere I need to dig up. But I do think you can have pests before you see signs of damage and that is probably the best time to treat them vs. reacting to damage. I haven't tried the Bayer pest control so we'll see how it goes.

How do you like the Milorganite? I used it a few times and although I've had mixed results with organic products, I seem to recall it worked well (but my wife complained about the aroma).