01-28-2023, 08:15 PM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Had the need? Yes due to the vehicle sitting for long stretches of time not being driven. Using an advanced battery tender keeps the battery from becoming deeply discharged…thus increasing its usable life.

Also be aware that many modern BMWs (with their electronic parking brake) have no “easy”way of putting the transmission in neutral without electrical power. Those that fail to think ahead and end up with a dead battery…then panic when they don’t know how to move the vehicle in a position to be towed or get to the jump start locations in the engine bay…to apply power to the car to access the battery in the trunk (which sometimes no longer has a lock cylinder).

If you drive short distances or the car will be sitting for long stretches of time (more than 3 weeks)…then a battery tender/maintainer can help increase the life of your car’s battery.

I highly recommend using and advanced or intelligent unit that will bring the battery up to charge, then maintain that charge without OVER-charging the battery.

BMW sells “branded” advanced chargers (made for use with AGM and Lithium batteries) that are made by Delco or CTEK…you can look for either brands…the Delco/CTEK brands tend to cost less. Then if you do a search of this much discussed topic…you’ll also see many BMW owners that also recommend NOCO (spelling?) battery tenders, too.

I’ve had my BMW branded (DELCO) advanced battery tender for years…and it works great. It is actually hooked up to my f06 6 series right now because I’m driving the f15 x5. I also swap on my riding lawn mower’s battery every few weeks to keep it charged up until mowing season returns.
I bought the BMW branded charger as it was nominally more expensive than the "generic."
Appreciate 0