United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serieD View Post
As said by Sir Loin, if it is done tastefully I think it can look nice. That being said, I am not a fan of the drop.

Like the OP, I wonder why people have these obsessions. I personally cannot understand/identify with the "blacked out" crowd that exists on the forum. I don't know why people get the cars and black out the grills IMMEDIATELY, as if the car is not complete without black grills. Now this is subjective so I am totally wrong for questioning anyone, because they are just as right as the designer BMW paid 6 figures to put the chrome ones on. I just feel like it's this constant formula that most people (and maybe it's just my age group- early/mid 20's) follow and it's; take delivery, don't respect the break in rules, drive it right to Mod shop, lower it, black out the M badges, black out grills, black out windows, install obnoxiously loud and tasteless exhaust system, then drive off like a douche. Which is great, but when I asked a friend of mine this question (someone who follows this "black out formula") he said it's because him and other people he knows want to make the cars their own. But at this point, it's become so cliche that it almost does the opposite.

I don't know, I guess I just don't like when guys do the whole "macho testosterone" thing with their car. I have seen an old Sicilian man track an FXX EVO at a blistering pace, and since then everything has been humble in my eyes. As someone said on this forum way before me, "The car doesn't define you, you define the car" and I guess those words stuck with me.
I guess it is because I am an old fart, but I agree with your assessment of the "black out formula". In fact for me, I don't get the current trend for black wheels (runs across all makes), because when I see a car with black wheels, I don't see "aggressive", I see a car that has had the "hub caps" stolen

Name:  DSCN0261.JPG
Views: 4044
Size:  53.2 KB
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0