05-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Gran Coupe Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris83 View Post
So far I've only driven about 75 miles or 120 kilometers. So the brake pads are still in the break-in period. EBC says they need up to 1,000 miles, which is pretty high, typically I believe it's 300 miles/500km for break in period for brake pads.

The good :

Initial brake bite response is improved over oem but it's also because I increase the brake rotors/discs. It's basic physics, if you try to loosen a tight bolt with a short wrench vs a longer wrench, it's achievable with less effort. Added stainless steel line hoses but I think that I wouldn't notice as much.

Brake dust is slightly reduced but still there. It's a lighter grey color versus black/brownish color from oem pads.

The bad:

I have an annoying squeak on the rear pads, It's only there when the brakes are warmed up and only under light brake application. I did notice that the rear rotors/discs don't have that clean mirror finish look, like the fronts do. They still have the silver coating in some areas and have that machining look. The fronts have a mirror look to them already. I'm hoping once the rotors are cleaned up that squeak goes away once the break in period is over.

The front pads don't have a squeak at all but they have another issue that I noticed. If you reverse and brake they click once and when you drive forward and brake they click once and it goes away. I noticed the oem front brembo pads have a double sided tape on the back shims vs the EBC doesn't have that double sided tape. The oem pads were literally glued to the calipers pistons. This tells me that the EBC pads move slightly vs oem ones were fixed/glued to the piston which prevents this click. It only happens once when you drive a different direction.

I will update everyone once more in a week or so.

I highly recommend everyone to upgrade the rear rotors/discs from 345x24 to the 370x24mm they look much better, very inexpensive upgrade with just getting the caliper carriers. If i had to do it again under a budget I would just upgrade the rears so I have a more balanced braking power and look. When i check the realoem website it looks like all the new 2020+ with m sport brakes, 540I and M550I have 370x24 rear discs and same size fronts as older models at 374x36.

Attached are pictures of the rear and front rotors/discs, you can see some of the dust.
I wanted to report back to everyone that I'm very happy with the upgrade and now the noise is completely gone. Even the front brakes don't have the click anymore.
2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 2
PetieD 7169.50
540iSUP704.00