10-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbillon View Post
AWD would be perfect for this car in my opinion. Traction control can be too intrusive at times. I have an E550 with AWD and a twin turbo V8 with 450 lb tq and it's very fun to drive at lower speeds and in the city.
totally. after having this car i really wish it had AWD. i don't give a damn what the reasons were. it would have been more fun to have ultimate grip off the line. period.

the other day a dude driving a truck (think it was a dodge ram 2500) decided to race me at the lights. he pinned it so i decided to play along. it was SOOO difficult trying to feather the throttle within that range where you kept accelerating, but didn't lose traction. i ended up having to back off the gas so much, the guy in the truck basically stayed even with me until we were going well over 40 mph.

in my opinion they didn't do the greatest job harnessing the power to allow it to be put to the road effectively.

the weird thing isn't just that you lose traction. its WHEN you lose it. it seems to happen at the most unexpected time. like when you've already gotten off the line and have reached a speed at which you THINK, ok, i should be able to put the pedal all the way down now. then you do and the car decides to start dancing all over the place. you need to be very careful not to do this in ANY other situation other than going completely straight.

if you go to say, half throttle immediately off the line, it will hook up initially and the initial launch is not bad. then you hold the accelerator in that same position and then after you hit 4-5000 rpm the wheels break lose and there goes your speed.

obviously i drive with DSC off when in M mode. just a habit i acquired with the e60, as it was the best way to unleash the fun-ness.

this is definitely a different beast from an amg where you can get in and just go with no skill whatsoever. with this car the increased throttle response comes with the need for increased precision on the gas pedal.
Appreciate 0