lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Which is, for all intents and purposes, 2 generations behind the G30 M550i.

N63TO0 - Gen 1
N63TO1(TU) - Gen 2
N63TO2(TU2) - Gen 3
N63TXX (the G30 M550i M Performance Variant) - Gen3.5 or 4.

Gen 1 was rather unfortunate with both regional driving condition induced issues combined with manufacturing attributable problems. Neither is "good" but the provenance wouldn't be so negative had it only been one or the other.

Oil "consumption" on N/S63TU is attributable most of the time to how the car was driven during break-in. If it was conservative to moderate, it will request oil over time. How the car is typically driven post initial break-in will determine how often that request is. The large amount of torque available from very low engine speeds tends to result in frequent lugging (low engine speed + large throttle demands). Subsequent drops in throttle demand momentary exceeds the the engine pumping ability causing fuel to blow down past the rings, diluting the oil. The diluted oil then makes its way up past the rings into the combustion chamber during moderate to high engine speeds with low to mid throttle demand. All mechanical devices have the occasional failure but the TU and newer have not displayed any major, widespread issues. Same can't be said of the B58 though the issues seem to be resolved now.

Some have never needed to add much if any oil to an N/S63 while others need a liter in less than 1k miles. Personally, I've had several of each N63 and S63 variant produced so far and have never added a drop to all but one. The sole exception was a very early build F10 550i due to a return line leak...not consumption/dilution.

Enthusiast Forums tend to exaggerate and circulate false information when it comes to "widespread" major problems. Search the F8x forum and it would seem that the S55 is spinning cranks every day somewhere and BMW modified the bedplate to correct a manufacturing issue. Truth is, a handful of cars have done so, every single one was modified, and the strengthened bedplate was to allow for the increased power of the M4 GTS. All S55's incorporated the change to reduce production costs rather than increase the GTS price even more.
The M550i engine code is N63R
That's the short reference for TU2 base. Gen 3.5 seems appropriate. There are some changes vs a 750 to make it slightly different.
Appreciate 0