View Single Post
      11-20-2023, 08:39 AM   #1
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31 MSport

Is 530e a risky second hand purchase?

I have been doing some research around the G31 as I need a car with more boot space. I am based in the UK and will do most of the driving (at least in the next few years due to having one toddler and one baby on the way) in London and short trips (1-2h/60-100 miles) outside London. In theory a plug in hybrid would suit me the best as I could do 90% of my journey on the battery only and I have a driveway and could charge at home.
However I have no experience and I don't know anyone who owned such a car. I am quite wary of cars having batteries and purchasing them second hand as batteries life goes down with time and eventually they will go bad. Is it a bad idea to purchase such a car that is 4-5 years old?
I am actually consider the 520 or 530i but there are a lot more 530e on the market and the LCI ones are only hybrids but maybe they are just to new to be available on the SH market yet.
What are people's opinion? Should I just stick with a petrol engine and not risk having batteries go out outside waranty? Would probably look to keep the car for at least 4 years after purchase so reliability as an older car is important for me.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0