Rep
Drives: M3 / G30 530ix

Snow / G30 / X-drive: failed at snow test

Had snow last night, not heavy snow.

Thickness: 2,5 centimeters (snow/ice)

Tires: Good Year F1 tires, RFT.

I was stuck at a hill for 30 minutes.

Length of hill is 120 meters (400 feet)

How steep: not extremely steep but it was steep.

Lots of wheel spin.

Turned of traction control. Still can not move forward.

Tried to take of in 2nd gear. Still can not move forward.

AWD malfunction after 10 minutes of wheel spin: Transfer case fluid should have overheated, thats how I interpret. (Note: malfunction cleared after 1 hour)

You stay stuck on a ice and snow covered steep road in RWD mode...

Worst news: Car slides backwards although I pressed the brakes. This is an indication of no traction cause of tire choice.

I could stop after hitting the tires to pavement.

I liked my G30 as it was an individual car, but up until today. No more love for G30.

I swapped a set of Pirelli Settozero 3 tires, but snow melted. Could not test winter tires on G30.

Next car wont be a X-drive, I dont want to carry 75 kg (150 lbs) of extra weight on the nose of my car.

Had an E46 330ix, permanent AWD, and it was able to climb on any hill on summer tires. Winter tires made a huge difference on E46 330ix, but on summer tires E46 AWD had much more grip than G30 Xdrive, both running on summer tires.

Xdrive is transferring torque via clutch pack from rear to front axle, it is like an ON/OFF system, and every time the AWD is OFF, car goes back to RWD. Then goes to AWD and back to RWD. All this happen within seconds.

On the other side, a permanent AWD system, such as on E46 330ix, has 33 % torque on front axles and 66 % torque on rear axles and this keeps the car as a real all wheel drive car, and offers "more traction"

Ontop of winter tires I may add limited slip differential. G20 M340ix has a limited slip as an option off the factory.
Appreciate 0