11-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #59
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
JP10 Yo - that PB tip has been working out great. Added it to a post run smoothie the other night, along with a few ice cubes, banana, pumpkin, pumpkin spice, protein powder, and it was great for recovery and keeping the gains on.

I've decided I have to get back to running once a week, and add some cycling. I know that's counterintuitive to gaining weight, but because of my body type, I think it'll actually make me stronger, thus increasing my overall weightlifting goals. My squat felt great today, as did my overhead press and deadlift.

Also finding that more core training is essential for my increase in squats, so have added more weighted situps.
Haha I'm tellin ya man PB is key! Easy to eat or mix and has great base of calories for gaining (high fats & decent protein). Feel like it is a deliberately ignored addiction of mine lol.

Running can be quite beneficial to gains, but it is the type of running. As long as you aren't out there running marathons then it really isn't detrimental. I enjoy a long run once a week and I might run 3-4 times a week. I feel like I should clarify that a long run for myself is about 5 miles, past that I usually am either bored or gassed. The other 2-3 times per week are more so dedicated to shorter (2miles) more fast paced runs. So rather then trying to maintain HR, I'm trying to push myself both cardiovascularly & physically. There are actually studies that high endurance running/cycling can lead to decreased testosterone due to increased cortisol levels. Long story short, running is fine, I'd just reduce the distance/time and increase pace. Side note, feel free to do sprints as well especially if you have a nice hill near by, they are great for increasing strength.
Appreciate 0